Failed to load RSS feed from http://projects.apache.org/feeds/rss/tika.xml: There was a problem during the HTTP request: 404 Not Found
- 2021-10-23 13:15:55
- by ASF GitHub Bothttps://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=githubbotgithubbothttp://activitystrea.ms/schema/1.0/person
- 2021-10-23 13:11:12
- Luke Chen started progress on Luke Chen created Description
Java based tool for identifying file formats using signatures and extracting metadata and text content from documents.
Apache Tika is able to detect many different file formats. The following list names only the file formats which are supported by the parsers in the current Apache Tika version 1.9 and from which Tika is able to extract metadata and/or textual content:
- XML and derived formats,
- MS Office document formats,
- iWorks document formats,
- compression and packaging formats,
- text formats,
- feed and syndication formats,
- audio formats,
- image formats,
- video formats,
- Java class files and archives,
- source code,
- mail formats,
- DWG CAD format,
- font formats,
- scientific formats,
- executable programs and libraries,
- crypto formats.
For detailed information see Apache Tika 2.1.0 .
Apache Tika also processes embedded files and returns text and metadata from embedded files. The best way to see information on embedded files is to run tika-app with the -J option (e.g. java -jar tika-app-2.1.0.jar -J -t myfile.pdf), or if you're running tika-server, use the /rmeta endpoint.
In addition to extracting text and metadata from files, Tika also offers a tika-eval module that can be used for profiling content or comparing the results of two different text extractors. This module can be used to identify PDFs, for example, that may require Optical Character Recognition for reasonably reliable text (see tika-eval metrics for the Out-of-Vocabulary statistic.)
See tika-eval wiki
- Comparing how Apache Tika and DROID perform HTML identification: How much of the UK's HTML is valid?
- Apache Tika is a core component of the Web Archive Discovery indexer and profiler.
- A number of pages on the OPF Wiki mention Tika.
The Tika team released the 2.x branch over 2021, and is focusing new development only on the new branch. Please see Migrating to Tika 2.0.0 for notes on upgrading to the 2.x branch.