SIARDexcerpt is a Java-based application that searches and extracts individual records of SIARD files, then converts them into a human readable form using a user-specific or a generic stylesheet. It is an open source application under a GPL v3+ licence. SIARDexcerpt uses unmodified components of other manufacturers by embedding them directly into the source code.
 Funtional Principle
SIARDexcerpt complies with the following requirements.
- Initialisation: During initialisation the SIARD file is unpacked into the working directory and the desired configuration is copied to the predefined location. If required, the configuration is completed automatically according to metadata.xml and temporally saved as SIARDexcerpt.conf.xml.
- Search: After initialisation the matching lines are searched using grep. The asterisk (*) serves as a wild-card character. SIARDexcerpt copies the matching lines and outputs twelve predefined columns as a preview. A stylesheet permits the display of the result in Internet Explorer. The search result is saved into the configured output folder.
- Extraction: The extraction can start once the primary key is known. The extracted result is saved into the configured output folder. A stylesheet permits the display of the result in Internet Explorer.
- End: At the end, the temporary configuration file SIARDexcerpt.conf.xml and the unpacked SIARD file are deleted.
The results (including information on inconsistencies and errors) are output for every step and written into a validation log.
 Third-party applications
SIARDexcerpt uses unmodified components of other manufacturers by embedding them directly into the source code. Users of SIARDexcerpt are requested to adhere to these components ‘terms of licence.
- To search and excerpt SIARDexcerpt use grep.
 Read Me & Download
SIARDexcerpt is a Java-based application that searches and extracts individual records of SIARD files, then converts them into a human readable form using a user-specific or a generic stylesheet.
SIARDexcerpt, Copyright (C) 2016 Claire Roethlisberger (KOST-CECO).
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see GPL-3.0_COPYING.txt for details.
You can download SIARDexcerpt under https://github.com/KOST-CECO/SIARDexcerpt/releases or http://kost-ceco.ch/cms/index.php?siardexcerpt_de. For installation-instructions check the manual (DE/FR/EN).
 SIARD format
SIARD stands for Software Independent Archiving of Relational Databases. Originally the Swiss Federal Archives (SFA) have developed the SIARD format as a sustainable solution for the archiving of relations databases.
In early 2013 SIARD format has been adopted as an eCH Standard (eCH-0165: SIARD format specification http://www.ech.ch/vechweb/page?p=dossier&documentNumber=eCH-0165).
eCH is the Swiss organization for standardization in the field of e-government. eCH Standards define guidelines for recurring applications and their results, as for example format definitions or procedural standards. The aim of those standards is to unify and thus facilitate the electronic collaboration between authorities as well as between authorities and organizations, educational and research institutions, firms and private organizations.
 Feedback & Issues
Feedback about SIARDexcerpt is very welcome at http://github.com/KOST-CECO/KOST-Simy/issues or kost-val[at]kost-ceco.ch
 User Experiences
 Development Activity
All development activity is visible on GitHub: http://github.com/KOST-CECO/SIARDexcerpt/commits
 Release Feed
Below the last 3 release feeds: Failed to load RSS feed from https://github.com/KOST-CECO/SIARDexcerpt/releases.atom: Error fetching URL: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version
 Activity Feed
Below the last 5 commits: Failed to load RSS feed from https://github.com/KOST-CECO/SIARDexcerpt/commits/master.atom: Error fetching URL: error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert protocol version