Workflow:How to preserve your 3D data with the French National 3D Repository?
There are two ways to create a repository on the CND3D - the final objective being to keep the data on the servers of the National 3D Data Conservatory.
- Either the files are loaded directly from the web browser, and all the metadata must then be filled in one by one (need for Sarah's confirmation).
- Or the files are filled in through the aLTAG3D software - to be installed on the computer. The files are dragged and dropped into the interface, a large part of the metadata is then retrieved automatically, only the descriptive metadata remains to be documented. Once all the information is filled in, aLTAG3D checks the validity of the deposit, and generates a tree structure with the metadata (xml file). This package can be sent via ftp, with Filezilla for example.
This second option is therefore preferable because it allows better documentation of the repositories.
Create your SIP online
Second method (offline creation of a SIP)
Step 1: Create the SIP
- Identify the data you want to preserve (see 3D data life cycle for more information)
- Open aLTAG3D, create a new project and save it on your working folder (probably in the folder of the 3D data you want to preserve)
- If you are using the software for the first time, it may be necessary to activate all plugins
- A tree structure of nodes appears. Each box corresponds to a type of information.
- By selecting a box, the metadata appears in the side panel on the right. All required information is framed in red; other information is optional. When information is entered, the red box turns green. The aim of the game is that all boxes turn green to generate the SIP.
- If a node is pulled, a new box is added. Depending on the data to be stored, it is possible to customize the output.
- You can drag and drop the files to be preserved on the box, a huge amount of technical metadata is automatically extracted. You only have to fill a little amount of information.
- Verify the integrity of the project.
- You can generate a rapport of the project ready to be exported
- You can proceed to the creation of the SIP. A few extra information are required, and the the software will copy every files in a new folder, and create some xml file containing metadatas
Step 2: Upload the SIP
- The SIP must be loaded onto the CND3D servers via the FTP protocol. Filezilla can be used.
- If this is the first time, you can request an account and login details from [firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com]
Purpose, Context and Content
For an extensive documentation about the scheme of metadata behind aLTAG3D and the National 3D Repository (in French):
- Dutailly B., Eusèbe S., Grimaud V., Lefèvre N., Quantin M., Tournon S., 2019. L’archivage pérenne des modèles numériques 3D pour les SHS. Consortium 3D SHS, dir. Granier X. hal-02195914
For a more detail approach of the workflow (in French):
- Tournon S., Grimaud V., Dutailly B., Granier X., 2020. Le Conservatoire National des Données 3D SHS. Humanistica 2020, May 2020, Bordeaux, France. hal-02733470