kraken is a turn-key OCR system forked from ocropus. It is intended to rectify a number of issues while preserving (mostly) functional equivalence.
- Script detection and multi-script recognition support
- Right-to-Left, BiDi, and Top-to-Bottom script support
- ALTO, abbyXML, and hOCR output
- Word bounding boxes and character cuts
- Public repository of model files
- Lightweight model files
- Variable recognition network architectures
All functionality not pertaining to OCR and prerequisite steps has been removed, i.e. no more error rate measuring, etc.