COPTR is a wiki based registry of digital preservation tools. It's main aim is to help practitioners discover preservation tools that will help them tackle particular preservation challenges. It can be browsed and searched directly by practitioners, or queried by other systems via an API.
Each tool in COPTR is categorised by the Lifecycle Stage it falls within, the (sub) Function it performs and by the Content Type that it operates on. It may also input and/or output specific file formats. For example, EpubCheck performs the Function Validation, it operates on EBook Content and has EPUB as an input format. COPTR can help by enabling you to browse to tools that meet a particular need - perhaps relating to a specific Content Type or Function.
COPTR also holds digital preservation workflows. Sharing a workflow is a great way to exchange digital preservation practice and enable conversations around tools and how they are used.
How can I get involved?
COPTR is a wiki, which means anyone can edit it and your contributions are very welcome. All changes are tracked, so if a mistake is made, it can easily be undone. So don't hold back - please dive in a help make the information in COPTR better. Here are some suggestions:
- Add a new tool to COPTR. Add a tool you're familiar with or check out this wish list of tools to add to COPTR.
- Add a new workflow to COW. It doesn't have to be a finished workflow - a draft or proposal is still useful!
- Correct or add more detail to existing entries. For example, you could add input or output formats. Ask for help (see below) if you need to create new File format entries.
The following arrangements are in place to ensure the sustainability of COPTR:
- Hosting is kindly provided by the OPF.
- Content is provided and maintained by you, the community! DPC, DDHN and POWRR have been active in coordinating and implementing maintenance and editathons.
- Regular data dumps are provided to NDIIPP and arrangements are in place to provide a route to future hosting should OPF be unable to continue to provide this service.